The best gift you can give someone is to get yourself together
- Wendy Palmer, Founder of Leadership Embodiment & Adjunct Faculty at GWU-CEPL
The Leadership Embodiment (LE) model
The Leadership Embodiment (LE) model is used in this self-development course for coaches, OD professionals, leadership facilitators and educators to break down, study and attend to the critical 70% of communication that is non-verbal. We specialize in assessing how our bodies organize while under pressure and offer exercises and practices that help us reconnect to our centered selves, a more open, uplifted and inclusive way of being.
The more we understand our own habits and patterns under stress and can embody the processes that help us recover, the more authentic we can be when coaching others. When we as coaches, embody strength and warmth, inspiration and interest, we are modeling what we would like to encourage in our clients. Instead of taking ourselves out of the picture, we take the view that we are on the path with them. We practice along with them, together we cultivate – openness, transparency and enthusiasm.
LE Level 1 & 2 Course
This course offers participants an introduction to LE, language, practices, principles and ways to deepen the awareness and explore their patterns and centering practice in a variety of situations.
Through simple physical exercises that apply light pressure, we are able to recognize the patterns that arise when we are in intense situations. Once we are familiar with our pattern, we apply centering practices to help us shift to a more creative, compassionate and skillful state. Working in pairs, we chunk down learning exercises to create a lasting somatic imprint in the body. Individual debrief and group discussions create a dynamic learning container.
What Will You Learn
Over the course of a 3-day long class you will be introduced to a combination of both Level 1 (Foundational) and Level 2 (Intermediate) Modules.
Level 1 Module: You will learn to shift to an open relaxed and centered state while under pressure. Level 1 Module introduces practices for cultivating the 3 Leadership Competencies:
- Being inclusive, especially in difficult situations
- Listening to everything that is being said without taking things personally
- Speaking up for what we believe in, even when there is strong resistance
Level 2 Module: The Intermediate Level 2 introduces you to:
- Working with the wooden practice sword to raise energy and increase your capacity for positive power, especially when Speaking Up
- Working with greater inspiration to address challenges with more ease
- Aligning your body and speech to become more effective at influencing the environment
Practices you will learn:
- Partner Centering Basic and 3 variations
- Advocating w/resistance
- Advocating / Listening
- Leader / Follower
- Entering In
- Success exercise
- Sword work for Advocating
- Multiple Incomings practice
- Partner 2 Step
- Declaration statement 5 ways
(May evolve session-to-session)
Our Partners & Senior Faculty: The course will be offered in partnership with Leadership Embodiment facilitated by Tiphani Palmer. Tiphani is a coach and facilitator with 15 year experience with the Leadership Embodiment model. She has worked with a wide variety of organizations throughout the US, Canada and Europe and specializes in personal and team leadership development. She holds a second-degree black belt in the martial art of Aikido.
Target Audience: Experienced Coaches looking to take their practices to the next level, Skilled Facilitators, OD practitioners, Educators, Professionals who want to support learning and development in organizations and their community.
This course can be taken as a stand-alone and it also serves as one of the pre-requisites for the Leadership Embodiment Coach Training (LECT) if you choose to take that path.
Date: June 8-10, 2017
Tuition: $1,950 (includes program fee, all class materials, meals and a copy of Wendy Palmer’s book Leadership Embodiment)
- We offer a 5% discount for GWU Staff, Student and Alumni
- We offer a 10% discount to GWU-CEPL Alumni & COG members
- We offer a 10% discount for participants who choose to also register for our LECT (Leadership Embodiment Coach Training) offered in 2017.
- We offer a 50% discount for participants who have previously completed the Level 1 course via Leadership Embodiment or its affiliates and who are interested to complete Level 2 Module of this offering. Participants are required to participate in all three days of the course to be eligible for this discount.
GWU Alexandria Graduate Center, 413 John Carlyle Street, Suite 250 Alexandria, VA 22314 (5 min walk from Blue/Yellow Line and 15 min driving from the Regan National Airport)
Professional CCEUs: LE Level 1 & 2 provides 28 Continuing Coach Education Units
Academic Non-Credit CEUs: This course offers 2.4 Continuing Education Units based on 24 hours of faculty-led content.
Director, Executive Education and Coaching Services